Thursday, September 11, 2008

Frightening/ Depressing Children's Entertainment

I actually saw this as a child and recall the following sequence somewhat vividly. For good reason I believe as it is REALLY disturbing! However I don't remember being as rattled then as I am now upon second viewing. The lysergic animation coupled with the monster's horrific rabid gluttony as a means to fill the painful void of being and loneliness ["I could gorge forever, I'm just an empty shell"] is nightmarish to say the least. Because this was made in the late 70's [films were crazy then!] when Raggedy Anne reveals her heart is made of candy my pulse quickened and I truly feared for her safety and what would become of her in the taffy pit.

Upon first viewing [I know, that means I watched it more than once] of this clip I fell into a deep hole of depression that I was only able to climb out of with the aid of a healthy dose of anger. Is it me or does Kathy Lee sing and dance the entire time while underage children and puppets labor and toil away. We witness a frazzled obviously overworked mouse who comes this close to a nervous breakdown on camera to children forced to sleep at their workstations, make cookies, and POLISH the jukebox! Thus confirming what we've always known, Kathy Lee is a ruthless uncaring despot.

2 comments:

Arnold Lozano said...

oh kathy lee...

Anonymous said...

The Raggedy Ann and Andy Movie is the shit! "The Greedy" is of course the horrifying highlight, but The Camel's sad, sad song of homelessness and abandonment is also pretty heavy for kid's stuff.

The music from the movie is REALLY solid. Joe Raposo, who did the music for Sesame Street for many years, was the composer.