Saturday, January 5, 2008

Baby Fever

So according to this article from USA today, fertility rates are at their highest since 1971. The age group that gained the most? Those 20 to 24 years old. Phew, glad I'm not in that bracket any more! The paper goes on to note that for industrialized nations it is strictly an American phenom. A look back on the films that graced our screen dealing with pregnancy and the embrace of babies in celebrity culture both high [Angelina/Brad] and low [Jaimie Lynn Spears y'all], it seem to make sense then why we are having a baby renaissance. Waitress, Knocked Up, and Juno were all released last year and deal with the topic of unexpected/unwanted pregnancy. However, all three are dramedies with an emphasis on the comedy because... unwanted babies are hilarious! Nothing more funny! Ripe fodder for comedic gold. That none of these films really considers abortion strikes me as somewhat irritating. Who knows, maybe I'm just grumpy because I'm currently going through a bout of middle child syndrome given my somewhat new status as uncle to a one year old niece. Because I will most likely never have a child and seeing how excited and happy my parents and relatives get at the sight of said baby I realize I've got a shoddy hand. Petty, self centered and immature, I am making a resolution to love babies and see the flip side of the coin! I too want to embrace the idiocy of baby culture and found this appropriate clip that is helping the conversion process.

2 comments:

Kavita said...

I KNOW! Could you imagine all three of those films having an abortion scene with a peachy-keen, all-is-well undertone? I wonder if we'll see it in our lifetimes. Probably not.
I have a co-worker who constantly harasses me and pokes fun at the fact that I "hate" children. You'd have to care...a lot... in order to.. hate. Is it so hard to believe that I just don't care? I'm sorry, the gurgles and spit bubbles don't cause my heart to skip a beat.

Arnold Lozano said...

haha, i just watched that clip with sound and it changed everything. fyi - sound renders it utterly obnoxious.