Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Song of Summer

From Jay Z's opening declaration, "Rhianna, good girl gone bad!" (is there anywhere else they can go?) to the closing refrain "Come into me" which the video illustrates, this has been the song of summer. I myself am a fan. The lyrics are so simple and vacuous they seem to hint at greater depths. Sadness also seems to creep into the vocal delivery of the song regardless if it is intentional or not, its there, at least for me anyway. Everyone goes on and on about the sad state of the music industry. Many claim its a fractured niche market driven mess on its last legs. So maybe I find monster size inescapable hits as comforting and reassuring in these uncertain times. You have a problem with that?

2 comments:

maxwell said...

haven't people been saying that for like 7 years now?

maxwell said...

oh, i see what you mean. I didn't mean it disparagingly! i agree with you, i'm just commenting on the articles you reference.